Q121: There is a loud party going on next door, can the police do anything about it?

The police may attend at incidents such as this and can ask the organisers to turn the music down. The police also have powers to prosecute for noise nuisance in terms of Civic Government Scotland Act 1982 section 54 for persisting, to the annoyance of others, in playing musical instruments, singing, playing radios etc. on being required to stop.

Local authorities also have powers under the Antisocial Behaviour Scotland Act 2004 to deal with noise nuisance. Persistent offenders can be given a warning notice and if they fail to comply with that notice they will commit an offence. If you suffer from a persistently noisy neighbour you should report this to your local authority

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo
Related information

Web Sites