Q128: Someone has broken into my house and taken some property, is that housebreaking?

    Yes it is. Housebreaking is an aggravation of theft where a person enters a building or part of a building without permission and proceeds to steal property from within. For many people this means that someone has entered your house without permission and stolen property from inside your house.

    The whole body does not have to enter the house, so if someone puts their arm through the letterbox and steal keys for example, this is a classed as a Housebreaking

    Examples of housebreaking:

    B smashes a patio door and opens it and goes into living room and steals a TV and DVD player and leaves the house.

    B puts his hand through an open window and steals a purse that has been left on the kitchen unit.

    If you have suffered from a housebreaking, please contact the police straight away and try not to touch anything that you think the offender may have touched.

    See the website in related information which is a website where you can register free all property with a serial number.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    Do you still need to contact the police force?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    police scotland logo
    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites