Q139: I think I have been the victim of a homophobic / transphobic incident, what can the police do?

A homophobic incident is one which the victim perceives has happened due to their sexual orientation. A transphobic incident is an incident that the victim perceives has happened due to their transgender identity. These are also known as hate crimes / incidents. Police Forces take reports of incidents of this type very seriously. If you feel you have been the victim of a hate crime you should report the matter to the police and there are various ways you can do this. The police will fully investigate the incident.

The implementation of new legislation under the Offences (Aggravations by Prejudice)(Scotland) Act 2009 is imminent and will extend the existing statutory aggravations to include offences motivated by prejudice in relation to sexual orientation, disability and transgender identity.


Someone is attacked and during the incident the person responsible makes offensive comments about the victim's believed sexual orientation.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question