• Explore Popular Topics

    Q147: My landlord has changed the locks and I can't get in, can I break in?

    If you are a residential occupier of the premises, i.e. you live there, then it is a criminal offence for any person to unlawfully deprive you, as a residential occupier, of your occupation of the premises. Changing the locks would be an unlawful eviction unless you have been officially evicted from the property by court order.

    An unlawfully evicted tenant may use reasonable force to regain entry to their own home (e.g. breaking a window), but be sure of your facts before taking these steps. If you have been lawfully evicted, you may be committing an offence of criminal damage. The Citizens Advice Bureau will best be able to advise you.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question