Q151: My ex partner keeps ringing me and waiting for me outside work, what can I do? / I keep getting text messages from him/her, is it harassment?

If your partner approaches you or contacts you repeatedly then they may commit an offence of harassment. The incidents must be related (so they become a course of conduct), not two isolated incidents. The further apart the incidents are, the less likely there is to be an offence of harassment. However, all the circumstances of the incident will be taken into account when determining if an offence has been committed.

If the incident involves your partner or ex partner then this will be dealt with as a domestic abuse incident.

If the manner of their conduct causes you alarm, annoyance or disturbance then this could constitute a breach of the peace. Any instances of unwanted contact which cause the aforementioned results should be reported to the police.

If you feel that you are being harassed and you want to involve the police then you should contact Police Scotland by dialling 101 and they will take details. If there are any threats of violence towards you, you should inform them, and they will treat the matter with greater urgency.

If you don't want to involve the police, you can see a solicitor who can, if necessary, begin civil proceedings. If your claim succeeds you may be awarded damages and/or an interdict. If there are any threats of violence then you are always advised to involve the police.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question