Q233: How do I apply for a firearms/shotgun certificate?

You need to apply to your local police force, who will more than likely have a firearm administration section.

Before a firearm certificate is granted or renewed the Chief Officer of Police is required to be satisfied that:

  • The applicant is fit to be entrusted with a firearm to which Section 1 of the Act applies and is not a person prohibited by the Firearms Act (e.g. by age or previous conviction) from possessing such a firearm.
  • The applicant has a good reason for having in his possession, or for purchasing or acquiring the firearm and ammunition in respect of which the application is made.
  • That in all circumstances the applicant can be permitted to have the firearm or ammunition in his possession without danger to the public safety or to the peace.

Along with the application form you will have to provide four identical passport sized photographs along with the details of two persons who are prepared to provide a reference to the application. A referee must not be a member of the applicant's family, a serving police officer or police employee, or a registered firearms dealer. A referee should be of good character and the reference should be freely given and not on payment of any fee.

You also need to provide details of your GP and sign a form granting the police permission to request factual details of your medical history.

No shotgun certificate will granted or renewed if the Chief Officer of Police:

  1. Has reason to believe that the applicant is prohibited by this Act from possessing a shot gun; or
  2. Is satisfied that the applicant does not have a good reason for possessing, purchasing or acquiring one.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo
Related information

Web Sites