Q244: I have lost my driving licence/ passport/ handbag, how do I report it to the police?

You can report the loss of your driving licence or handbag in person to your local police station or you can telephone Police Scotland by dialling 101 to report the loss.


You must report the loss or theft of your passport to the Identity and Passport Service (IPS).

Fill in and sign a Lost or Stolen (LS01) Notification form and return it to the IPS. The address is on the form.

The form is available from,

  • UKPS offices
  • The Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000
  • Post Offices and some World Choice travel agents
  • Immigration officers at ports of entry in to the UK
  • Police Stations

Anyone wishing to report the theft of their passport must attend a police station in person and bring with them some form of identity ideally containing their name, date of birth and current address. You will need the crime reference details for the LS01 form.

You should fill the form in even if you do not wish to replace your passport. The system has been introduced in order to combat the fast growing crime of identity theft.

See related websites for more information on driving licences and passports.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question