Q249: I have found a dog, what do I do?

You should call the local dog warden. The local authority dog warden has a responsibility to collect all stray dogs that are found in a public place.

Stray dogs can also be taken to a police office but not all of them have kennels so it would be worth enquiring with them before handing a dog in. This process is under review but this procedure is still ongoing.

The SSPCA will not go out and collect stray dogs.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo
Related information