Q25: I want to demolish a barn on my land and there are bats living there, what do I have to do?

There are strict regulations with regards to bat conservation that you need to be aware of prior to starting any project of this nature. The Scottish Government Rural Affairs Dept can grant what is known as a Habitat Regulation Licence. This will allow you to carry out the work subject to certain conditions. For more detailed advice on this subject, please contact:

Scottish Natural Heritage
Great Glen House
Leachkin Road
Tel: 01463 725000

Bat Conservation Trust (Scotland)
The Attic
Scottish Churches House
1 Kirk Street
FK15 0AJ
Tel: 01786 826 792
Email: ayoungman@bats.org.uk

Note: You must not go ahead and carry out the work without consulting the above organisations as you will be committing a criminal offence and will be liable for a large fine.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo
For police non-emergencies dial 101
Related information

Web Sites