Q275: I am getting anonymous calls / text messages and I want the police to trace the offender

The first step to take is to report the matter to your telephone company, whether it is a landline or mobile network. If they feel it is appropriate they will put a trace on your line and instruct you to keep a diary of the calls, the time of the calls and also the type, for example, silent or heavy breathing etc. This is in order to gather evidence; the police need evidence of the offending number and details of calls in order to pursue a prosecution.

The telephone company will then contact you again when they feel they have enough evidence. Notify the police of the anonymous calls and they should initiate an investigation.

The police will then aim to identify the offender and where possible, prosecute. This process can take some time and it is not unusual for a period of several weeks to pass before the police will re-contact you about your complaint.

The process is the same if you think you know who the offender is; the police will still require the evidence to prosecute.

If the calls/text messages are of a threatening nature and there is a serious threat to your safety, then contact the police, who will deal with the matter as a higher priority.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question