Q304: Have you any tips for driving in the winter conditions/fog?
Winter conditions -
- Make sure the windscreen is completely clear of ice and snow before setting off.
- Drive slowly making any movements slowly and calmly.
- If you have to brake, just pump the brakes gently this will help to reduce skidding.
- If you do skid then turn the wheel the opposite way and that should help to correct your car's position.
- Always leave plenty of room between you and the car in front.
- Make sure you have a spade, blanket and water in the car in case of emergencies.
- Move off in second gear to get a better grip on the road surface.
- Try not to brake if you are on a patch of ice unless necessary.
- Call ahead and let someone know your expected time of arrival.
- If you are going up a steep hill use as high a gear as possible to stop your wheels from slipping.
- Make sure battery is fully charged.
- Drive slower and watch carefully the road in front of you because fog can appear and disappear in an instant.
- Use rear fog lights when visibility reduced to 100m or less.
- Only use front fog lights when visibility is seriously reduced.
- Turn radio off and open window slightly so you can hear other vehicles.
- Do not follow the car in front too closely.
- Do not use full beam head lights but dipped as these point to the road making it easier for you to see and for others to see you.
- Use windscreen wipers and demisters.
- If visibility reduced to less than 20/30m then your speed should be 20mph.