• Explore Popular Topics

    Q426: I have been in a road traffic accident, nobody was injured but the other party did not stop, do I need to report it to the police?

    If there is damage to your vehicle as a result of the accident then you need to report the matter to the police as soon as possible and in any case within 24 hours. If you managed to make a note of the registration of the offending vehicle the police will make enquiries to trace and speak to the driver. The process of tracing and speaking to the driver of the other vehicle can take some time.

    If you did not manage to note down the registration of the vehicle then you can still report the accident to the police, but unfortunately there are no further enquiries that can be made.

    However, if the vehicle had an identifying mark on it, a company logo for example then it may be that the vehicle driver can be traced and spoken to.

    The police will aim to prosecute in most cases where there is sufficient evidence to secure a conviction however each case is judged on its own merits. A conviction for one of these offences could lead to imprisonment and/or a substantial fine.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    police scotland logo