• Explore Popular Topics

    Q428: Following a road traffic accident I exchanged details. I do not think the other person has got any insurance, what should I do?

    Contact your insurance company who should make the necessary enquiries in the first instance. Once the enquiries have been completed and they are satisfied that the person does not have insurance, they should inform you to report the matter to the police who may be able to trace the other person.

    It would be helpful if you could supply the registration number, the make and model of the vehicle and the name and address of the other person if you were given it at the scene. If the person is traced they will be prosecuted for any relevant road traffic offence(s).

    You can also take out civil proceedings against the other driver in order to try and reclaim the cost of any damage to your car. If you have legal protection as part of your cover your insurance company will be able to advise you on this matter.

    If you have suffered any form of personal injury, loss or damage to your property as a result of the accident and the other person cannot be traced you may be able to obtain compensation through the Motor Insurers Bureau:

    152 Silbury Boulevard
    Central Milton Keynes
    MK9 1NG

    Telephone: 01908 830001

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    police scotland logo


    Web Sites