• Explore Popular Topics

    Q434: I have knocked over an animal, do I have to report it to the police?

    Some animals are not included in the definition of animal given in the Road Traffic Act 1988 so you are not required to report accidents with them to the police. However, it may be worth contacting the police to inform them of the incident. Additionally, the local authority will need to be contacted to remove the remains of the animal.

    A dog (as well as a goat, horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep and pig) does come within the remit of the Road Traffic Act and is a reportable accident, so you are required by law to report it to the police.

    Important: Badgers are specially protected and it is an offence to possess one, dead or alive, (without the proper authority), so if you kill one, leave it at the roadside. If you are concerned, as stated above, you can voluntarily contact the police.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    police scotland logo