Q434: I have knocked over a dog/badger/fox do I have to report it to the police?

The animals (apart from dog) do not come within the definition of animal within the Road Traffic Act 1988, so you are not required to report it to the police. However, it may be worth contacting the police to inform them of the incident. Also the local authority will need to be contacted to remove the remains of the animal.

A dog (as well as a goat, horse, cattle, ass, mule sheep and pig) does come within the remit of the Road Traffic Act and is a reportable accident, so you are required by law to report it to the police.

Important: Badgers are specially protected and it is an offence to possess one, dead or alive, (without the proper authority), so if you kill one, leave it at the roadside. If you are concerned, as stated above, you can voluntarily contact the police.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo
For police non-emergencies dial 101
Related information