Q456: My child is being bullied by another child at school what should I do?

You should speak to your child's form teacher to start with and tell them about what is happening. It is important to remain calm but firm, Getting angry at the school can often make things worse for you and your child.

Ask the teacher at the school if they have noticed any changes in your child's behaviour, Bullied children are often withdrawn, quiet, and suffer from drops in school marks. The teachers will have experience in dealing with bullying and may be able to suggest the best course of action.

Consideration should be given to reporting any matters that could constitute criminal offences to the police.

The websites listed in related information offer help and support for parents and children about the best way to approach bullying.

ParentLine Scotland is the national helpline and email service for any adult concerned about a child, for any problem, big or small, offering support, information and advice. They take calls from adults on a range of issues relating to children, and provide support including those calling with child protection concerns and callers who are victims of crime. Their number is 08000 28 22 33. Opening hours are 9am-10pm Monday to Friday and 12 noon to 8pm on weekends.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question