Q477: There are kids on go-peds /motorised scooters/mini motos on the pavement it is very dangerous. What can the police do?

There are two types of electric scooter, those which only reach a maximum speed of 5mph, and those whose maximum speed is above that. The ones that have the lower speed are classed as toys and not a mechanically propelled vehicle. The other ones who have a maximum speed of 15/20 mph these are classed as mechanically propelled vehicles and are subject to the same regulations as motor vehicles if used on public roads, i.e. they must be taxed and insured and the user must hold a licence and wear a helmet. It is likely that even if insurance companies did provide such insurance it would be very expensive.

The latter cannot be used on the pavement and can only be used on private land with the permission of the owner. They cannot be used on council land unless there is a designated area specifically for them.

If you know the details of a youth that is driving a go-ped (also known as buzz boards)/scooter/mini moto on the pavement then contact your local police station who will advise the youth and parents/ guardian of the safest use for these items.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


If you can't find the answer? Ask a question