Q523: There are youths that are driving up and down our street doing hand brake turns etc, can anything be done?

The police do have a number of powers to deal with problems such as these. One of the powers that the police possess is to seize a vehicle causing alarm, distress or annoyance. The car must be being used in such a way that it commits the offence of driving without due care or driving on footpath, moorland, bridleway etc and that the vehicle is being used anti-socially (i.e it is causing alarm, distress or annoyance). There are other requirements that the police have to carry out before the car can be seized.

It is also an offence to use, (cause, permit) a motor vehicle to cause excessive noise which could have been avoided by the driver exercising reasonable care.

From a practical point of view, a police officer will usually need to be present to witness the behaviour. It is advisable to contact Police Scotland via their 101 number to report any nuisance motor vehicles.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo