Q529: What class of vehicle is a double cab pick up?
Most double cab pick ups would fall into the class of dual purpose vehicle (examples of a double cab pick up are vehicles such as Mitsubishi Warrior and a Ford Ranger). A dual purpose vehicle is:
- constructed/adapted for carriage of both passengers and goods;
- a vehicle with an unladen weight not exceeding 2040kgs;
- constructed/adapted that the driving power of the engine can be transmitted to all wheels; and
- must have rigid roof, transverse passenger seats and rear windows amongst other things.
With relation to speed limits dual purpose vehicles (not exceeding unladen weight of 3050kg or 8 passenger seats) have the speed limits as follows, (unless shown as restricted) are:
- motorway 70mph.
- dual carriageway 70mph.
- single carriageway 60mph.