Q542: I need a police check for immigration / emigration purposes, what do I have to do?

Most Embassy web-sites give clear and concise guidance about the immigration/emigration process- what documents and checks are required and what steps to take

If you are emigrating to another country, you may be asked to obtain a "Police Clearance form" or "Certificate of Good Character".

Scottish Police are not able to provide "Certificates of Good Character" but can give a copy of your conviction history which is suitable for visa and immigration purposes, see link in related information.

This can be requested by completing a subject access form and sending it to our Data Protection Officer.

If your request is in connection with employment within the UK you should apply to Disclosure Scotland on 0870 609 6006 or through the website www.disclosurescotland .co.uk for a basic disclosure check.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question