• Explore Popular Topics

    Q545: Workmen are digging up the road outside my house at an early hour. What can I do about the noise?

    As with any complaint of noise you can report this to Environmental Services at your local council and it is possible that inconsiderate contractors could be served with a noise abatement notice.

    There are generally no legal restrictions on the times this work may be carried out and sometimes it is necessary to carry out work during unsociable hours to avoid disruption to traffic or to carry out emergency repairs in the event of gas and water leaks.

    If you can identify the contractor and/or the department the work is being carried out for i.e. gas/electricity/water/telephone then it may be worthwhile complaining directly to the company carrying out the work.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question