Q58: Can the police go and get my child back from my partner, I have got a residence order and the child doesn't want to live with me but the court says that he/she has to?

The police cannot immediately attend your partner's and remove the child unless there is a specific power to do so given to them within the order or they are satisfied that the child is or will be subject to significant harm.

A court can vary the conditions within a residence order provided they are satisfied with the existence of the order and that the other parent is in breach of the order.

There are other orders that you can obtain which may prevent a similar situation arising. A solicitor will be able to give advice on this matter or you can get further information at the identified website.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question