Q592: Have you got any tips for driving on the motorway?
Top tips for motorway driving are:
- Keep to the left except when overtaking.
- Do not undertake.
- Keep a safe distance behind the car in front; general advice is the 2 second rule. Watch for the car in front to pass a stationary object, then start counting. If you pass it before you have counted to two, you are too close.
- Keep to speed limits.
- Use mirrors, but beware of 'blind spots'.
- Take regular breaks (every two hours at least).
- Plan your journey; make sure you know which exit you need.
- Make sure your tyres, petrol and windscreen wash are filled.
- Always bear in mind the possible actions of other drivers.
- Make preparations to leave the motorway in good time.
- There is no such thing as a fast lane, the middle and offside lane are for overtaking only.
For night time driving on the motorway:
- Use dipped lights if there is oncoming traffic as a full beam will dazzle other drivers.
- The night vision mode on rear view mirror will prevent you from being dazzled (small catch under mirror that tilts it slightly)
- The cats eyes on the edge of the motorway change colour as follows:
- red - edge of near side lane
- amber - edge of outside lane
- white - the separation of the lanes
- green - slip road, exit and entry
For more information, see the links in related information.