Q593: What should I do if I break down on the motorway?
This is only based as a guide and common sense should be used at all times. The main issue to consider is the safety of you and your passengers.
- If you can, drive to the next exit and leave the motorway; Only in an emergency should you pull onto the hard shoulder, making sure you are as far left as possible.
- Switch on your hazard lights.
- Get out of your car from the passenger side.
- Walk up the verge away from the car.
- Do not attempt to do any repairs yourself, however simple.
- If possible use an emergency phone on the motorway as this is a free phone that connects to the police. If you do use your mobile phone make sure you know exactly where you are.
- Keep all children and animals under control.
If you cannot get your vehicle to the hard shoulder:
- Do not place any warning device (such as a warning triangle) in the carriageway.
- Switch on your hazards.
- Only leave the vehicle when it is safe to do so and you can get across the carriageway.
For more information see links in related information.