Q599: I am moving house and I am worried about the next occupants using my mail for identity theft. Is there anything I can do?

There are a number of things you can do:

  • Notify all companies/organisations that you are moving, see below for a guide of who to notify.
  • Redirect your mail, see website in related information, you can register for a minimum of a month and for a maximum of 2 years.
  • Register with the Mail Preference Service, you can register your new and previous address, see website in related information.
  • If possible call round at your previous address to collect any stray mail that may have been delivered.

Suggested list of organisations to notify on moving house:

  • Telephone provider
  • Mobile phone network
  • Local authority
  • Gas and electric companies
  • Water authority
  • Credit card companies
  • Banks/building societies
  • GP's surgery
  • Dentist
  • Optician
  • DVLA for driving licence
  • Vehicle documents, V5 etc
  • Any organisation/society that you are a member of
  • TV licence
  • Any guarantees that you have
  • Cable/satellite TV companies
  • Friends/relatives
  • Employers
  • Loyalty cards

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo
Related information

Web Sites