Q599: I am moving house and I am worried about the next occupants using my mail for identity theft. Is there anything I can do?
There are a number of things you can do:
- Notify all companies/organisations that you are moving, see below for a guide of who to notify.
- Redirect your mail, see website in related information, you can register for a minimum of a month and for a maximum of 2 years.
- Register with the Mail Preference Service, you can register your new and previous address, see website in related information.
- If possible call round at your previous address to collect any stray mail that may have been delivered.
Suggested list of organisations to notify on moving house:
- Telephone provider
- Mobile phone network
- Local authority
- Gas and electric companies
- Water authority
- Credit card companies
- Banks/building societies
- GP's surgery
- DVLA for driving licence
- Vehicle documents, V5 etc
- Any organisation/society that you are a member of
- TV licence
- Any guarantees that you have
- Cable/satellite TV companies
- Loyalty cards