Q61: My neighbour has erected a fence and it has been built on our land, not on the boundary, can I take the fence down?

The police cannot assist in this matter as boundary issues are a civil matter.

Do not damage or destroy the fence in the first instance as you may commit the offence of vandalism and be liable to prosecution.

The best course of action is to discuss the matter with your neighbour and try and resolve the matter in an informal and amicable manner. Try to establish if there has been a misunderstanding regarding the boundary.

Also obtain a copy of your deeds which will clearly show the boundary line and compare this with your neighbours.

If it is still not resolved, then you should think about seeking advice from a solicitor or citizen's advice bureau. However, be aware that getting solicitors involved could prove to be costly. The planning department of the local authority may have more information available.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question