• Explore Popular Topics

    Q627: I want to go and collect my belongings from my ex-partner/family. Can you assist?

    The police may be able to assist in certain circumstances. They will not however get involved in civil property disputes and you should seek advice from a solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau with regards to this.

    If the other party agrees to your proposed action e.g. the collection of belongings, but you are concerned for your safety, contact your local Police Station. A police officer may check that the other party agrees to the proposed action and may explore alternatives e.g. meeting at a neutral location to exchange belongings. Where an alternative cannot be found a police officer may accompany you. If the other party does not agree to the proposed action, then it would be advisable not to attend and to contact a solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau instead regarding alternative options.

    Seek support from Victim Support and Advocacy Services

    If you feel you are unable to make a report to Police for whatever reason, you can seek support and advice from victim support and advocacy services. Victim support and advocacy services are focused on reducing risk to and improving the safety of victims of domestic abuse. For more information on domestic abuse victim support and advocacy services, please visit the Police Scotland website.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    police scotland logo


    Web Sites