Q658: What are the requirements to legally drive a car in the United Kingdom?
To drive a motor vehicle legally on a road you must:
- Ensure you have a valid licence with the valid categories for the vehicle you are driving,
- Have insurance that covers you for the vehicle you are driving,
- Have an MOT (vehicles over 3 years old),
- Make sure the vehicle is taxed,
- Ensure the vehicle is in roadworthy condition.
If you have a foreign vehicle and you are resident in this country you must ensure that the vehicle is registered within 6 months of becoming a resident. Also if you have insurance from another country you must make sure it meets the minimum requirement (most EU countries do) and that your insurance company are aware that you are driving the vehicle in the UK.