Q745: I am being forced into a marriage to a man a lot older than myself, I do not want to let the family down, but I do not want to marry him either. What should I do?

As of 30th September 2014, forcing someone into marriage was made a ciminal offence in Scotland. Offences of assault, abduction and false imprisonment may also apply.

If you are concerned about involving the police in such a sensitive family issue, you could contact the police and ask for details of other support groups and voluntary organisations that are available.

Useful Numbers:

UK Asian Women's Centre Tel: 0121 523 4910
Bharosa Asian Women's Help Line Tel: 0121 303 0368
Women's Aide National Help Line Tel: 0808 2000 247
Jyoti Ashram Housing Department for Asian Women Tel: 0845 1306110
The Forced Marriage Unit Tel: 020 7008 0151

Forced Marriage Unit, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Advice and support for those in fear of being taken abroad for the purposes of forced marriage – across Great Britain) 0207 008 0230

Details of other organisations who will be able to offer help and support are:

Careline - 020 8514 1177
Childline - 0800 1111
National Missing Persons Helpline - 0500 700700
Refuge 24 hour National Crisis Line - 0990 995 443
Reunite 020 7375 3440 emergency line 0208 607 9660
Asian Family Counselling Service 020 8567 5616
Victim Support 0845 30 30 900

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question