Q746: What if I am being taken abroad and forced into a marriage?

If you believe that you are going to be taken abroad to be forced into a marriage, consider the following; avoid taking the trip if you can and if you cannot then you should contact the police. They will assist with safeguarding measures. The application of a forced marriage protection order will remove you from an immediate dangerous situation, and protect you in the future.

If you are not able to or it is not safe to contact the police, you should contact a friend you can trust and inform them to contact the police on your behalf and give them the following details:

  • The airport you are travelling from and to.
  • Details of the flight.
  • Who you are travelling with.
  • The address of where you are visiting, the relationship of the person you will be visiting.
  • Try and keep a mobile discreetly with international coverage, try and keep some money for yourself to use in an emergency.
  • If you have dual nationality, travel on the British passport.
  • Details of family or friends in the country who will know exactly where you are going to, how long for, and for what reason.
  • Once you have arrived in the foreign country, keep yourself informed as to where you are being taken too, who you are visiting etc.
  • Try and keep hold of your personal documents, passport, ticket etc.

Useful Numbers:

UK Asian Women's Centre Tel: 0121 523 4910
Bharosa Asian Women's Help Line Tel: 0121 303 0368
Women's Aide National help line Tel: 0808 2000 247
Jyoti Ashram Housing Department for Asian women Tel: 0845 1306110
The Forced Marriage Unit Tel: 020 7008 0151

Details of other organisations who will be able to offer help and support are:

Careline - 020 8514 1177
Childline - 0800 1111
National Missing Persons Helpline - 0500 700700
Refuge 24 hour National Crisis Line - 0990 995 443
Reunite 020 7375 3440 emergency line 0208 607 9660
Asian Family Counselling Service 020 8567 5616
Victim Support 0845 30 30 900

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question