Q769: Do I have to have my car insured if I don't use it and it is parked on private land?

Unless you have notified the DVLA that your vehicle is being kept off the road by means of a Statutory off Road Notice (SORN), you are not exempt having to insure your car.

In line with Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE), it is now a legal requirement for registered vehicle keepers to insure their vehicles(s) at all times even it is not being used and / or is parked on private land.

Please see the website for further information:

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo
For police non-emergencies dial 101
Related information

Web Sites