Q863: The cost of car insurance for my son/daughter is very high, can I insure their car in my name for them to use?

Some parents try to reduce the cost of their child's car insurance by insuring their son/daughter's car in their name and adding the child as a named driver but the child is the main user of the vehicle. This practice is called 'fronting' and is unlawful.

Note that all insurers are different and whilst the above information represents the general position, you should always check with your insurer to make sure.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

Not yet rated

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

police scotland logo
For police non-emergencies dial 101
Related information