Q908: Under what circumstances can I be stopped and given a breath test?

If a police constable reasonably suspects you are/have been driving, attempting to drive or in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or public road and:

  • You are under the influence of alcohol or drugs e.g. breath smells of alcohol, or
  • You have committed a moving traffic offence e.g. going through a red light, or
  • You have been involved in an accident

The PC can require that you take a preliminary breath test, field impairment test (FIT) or chemical drug test - PC must be in uniform to conduct these tests but not following an accident.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarHalf StarStarStarStarNot at all relevant

Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question