Q95: Are there any bye-laws in my town that prevent me from drinking on the street?

Every Local Authority has the power to make bye-laws for the purpose of suppressing nuisances in their area. This power is provided for by the Local Government Scotland Act 1973.

Many local authorities across Scotland have introduced bye-laws prohibiting public drinking. The byelaws also include having an open container of alcohol in a designated area.

It would be advisable to contact your local Police Force or Local Authority who will have details of any bye-laws prohibiting public drinking in your area.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


Do you still need to contact the police force?

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question